Within the given call, replace each 1/4 turn with a
3/4 turn and vice-versa.
Swapping 1/4 turns with 3/4 turns only occurs for portions of the call in which dancers doing the 1/4 or 3/4 turn are holding hands throughout that portion of the call.
Hence, only the following movements are modified:
- Arm Turns
- Cast Offs
- Stars (including Facing Stars)
- Single Hinges (From a Mini-Wave only. Partner Hinges (from a Couple) do not apply since dancers temporarily release handholds.)
Examples (italics show the differences from the normal version of the call):
- Fractal Spin The Top: From a Wave or Facing Couples.
Arm Turn 1/2; Centers Arm Turn 1/4 as Ends move
- Fractal Transfer The Column: From Mini-Wave Columns.
First Two Transfer as Second Two Step Forward To A Box and
Arm Turn 1/4; all Extend.
- Fractal Linear Cycle: From a Wave. Arm Turn
3/4; Leaders Fold; Any Shoulder Double Pass Thru;
Any Shoulder Peel Off.
- Fractal Snap The Lock: From Parallel Lines.
Outsides Partner Tag as Centers Step To A Wave, Fan The Top,
and Step Thru.
Examples of calls with both 1/4 turns and 3/4 turns:
- Fractal Swing The Fractions: Right Arm Turn
3/4; Left Arm Turn 1/2; Right Arm Turn
1/4; Left Arm Turn 1/2; Right Arm Turn 3/4.
- Fractal Locker's Choice: From Parallel Waves.
The Top; Centers Fan The Top and Cast Off
3/4 as Outsides Trade and Step & Fold.
- Fractal Relay The Top: From Parallel Waves or Eight Chain
Thru. Arm Turn 1/2; Centers Arm Turn 1/4 as Ends
1/2 Circulate; Center Star Turn 3/4 as
Outsides Trade; Those who meet Arm Turn 1/4 as Others
- Fractal Cast A Shadow: From Parallel Waves or Two-Faced Lines.
Ends 1/2 Zoom, Arm Turn 1/4 and Spread as Out-Facing
Centers Cloverleaf as In-Facing Centers Extend, Cast Off
3/4 and Extend.
The timing of calls may be different when dancing Fractal,
especially when a Cast Off 3/4 is replaced
with a Cast Off 1/4. For example, on a Fractal Follow
Your Leader, Trailers Extend, Arm Turn 1/4 and wait a
couple of beats for the Others to Tandem Cross Fold.
The Outsides' part of Linear Action, starts with a Hinge and
Trade. Hence (assuming the Outsides start in a
Mini-Wave), a Fractal Linear Action would have the Outsides
starting with an Arm Turn 3/4 followed by a Trade.
The original definition of Fractal included Box Counter
Rotates as one of the modified turns. I no longer believe this
should be allowed.
The following are examples of portions of calls not applicable to
Fractal (I briefly considered 'legalizing' these
movements within the definition, but ultimately decided against it):