From a Mini-Wave or Couple.
Each dancer works as if they were a Couple: all Wheel & Deal.
A Mini-Wave ends in Facing Dancers;
a Couple ends in Tandem Dancers.
Alternate definition: As one movement, Hinge & Roll.
Single Wheel is a two-dancer call. To find the other dancer with
whom you are working, break up the overall formation into appropriate
adjacent groups of two.
There are two ways to think about Single Wheel:
- Conceptualization -- "Single" means that each dancer works as if they
were a couple and everybody does the call.
Single Wheel (& Deal) means do the
Single version of Wheel & Deal.
If you think of Single Wheel in this manner, you can
more easily grasp other 'Single' extensions. For example, from a
R-H Mini-Wave Box, consider a Single Ferris Wheel.
- Memorization -- Just memorize that Single Wheel is a
Hinge & Roll, and be done with it. Whenever Single Wheel is
called, just do a Hinge & Roll. Easy, right? Single Wheel's
just another call to memorize. Why bother with all that conceptual
To start a Single Wheel, give a slight tug on
the handhold that you have with the adjacent dancer. This gets
both of you moving toward the correct direction.
From a Couple, Single Wheel is similar to Partner Trade
except that instead of ending as a Couple, you end as Tandem Dancers
(with the original Belle in front).
Single Wheel 3 Times:
- Teamwork is required to successfully dance Single Wheel 3 Times.
- Do the first instance of the call;
- Verify that the resulting formation is 'reasonable'
(properly aligned, symmetric, and dancers appear to be in the
- Re-evaluate your position within the new formation
(determine who you will work with next);
- Do the second instance of the call;
- Verify that the resulting formation is 'reasonable';
- Re-evaluate your position;
- Do the third (and final) instance of the call.
For those of you who may be aspiring C4 dancers, contemplate what would happen
from a 1x8 Line on the call "As Couples As Couples Single Wheel".
1/2 of a Trade.
- From a Mini-Wave, a Hinge (also known as Single Hinge) is an Arm Turn 1/4.
- From a Couple, a Hinge (also known as Partner Hinge) is 1/2 of a Partner Trade.
That is, as one movement turn 1/4 to face and Step to a R-H Mini-Wave.
Single Ferris Wheel [C3A] :
From a Mini-Wave Box.
Leaders do your part Single Wheel, as Trailers Extend & Single Wheel.
Ends in a Zero-Tag (Single Starting Double Pass Thru Formation).
Equivalent to Follow Thru & Roll.
Single Ferris Wheel:
Single Ferris Wheel
Single Turn & Deal [C4]:
From a Couple or a Mini-Wave.
As one movement, 1/4 In, Touch, and turn 1/4 toward your initial turning direction.
A Couple ends in Tandem dancers; a R-H Mini-Wave ends in Facing dancers;
a L-H Mini-Wave ends in Back-to-Back dancers.
From a Couple or R-H Mini-Wave, Single Turn & Deal is the same as
Single Wheel [A2]; from a L-H Mini-Wave, Single Turn & Deal
ends in Back-to-Back Dancers whereas Single Wheel ends in Facing Dancers.
Single Turn & Deal:
Single Turn & Deal
See also Single CONCEPT [C3A,C3B,C4].