From a Generalized Tandem (i.e., Front-to-Back Dancers,
Back-to-Back Dancers, or Facing Dancers).
- Right Roll To A Wave:
- As one movement, Leaders Right-face U-Turn Back and
all Step To A Right-Hand Mini-Wave.
- Left Roll To A Wave:
- As one movement, Leaders Left-face U-Turn Back and
all Step To A Left-Hand Mini-Wave.
The Leader's part is danced as one smooth movement.
Do not U-Turn Back then Step To A Wave - instead, do
the U-Turn Back as you move into your ending position.
The definition is worded (i.e., 'as one movement')
so that the Leaders can Roll.
A common mistake when dancing Right | Left Roll To A Wave
is that everyone tries to do a U-Turn Back.
Only the Leaders do the U-Turn Back. Another common
mistake is that the Trailers assume that they are not active, and hence they
do not move. The Trailer's part is Step To A Wave.
This call has historically been named Roll Right | Left To A Wave.
As such, several ways of calling it have evolved.
All of the following are equivalent:
- Right Roll To A Wave (the preferred command since the direction is given first).
- Right Roll To An Ocean Wave
- Right Roll
- Roll Right To A Wave
- Roll Right
Some callers insert the word 'Leads' (or 'Leaders') before calling
Right | Left Roll To A Wave when
they actually want everyone to do the call. This terminology is
confusing because both the Leaders and the Trailers have an
active part in the call. Also, this terminology is ambiguous from
formations in which the Leaders are Back-to-Back,
and the Trailers are Facing (e.g., Parallel Inverted Lines):
Does everyone do the call, or just the Leaders?
Our advice to callers is to avoid using the word 'Leads' (or 'Leaders')
unless only those dancers are to do the call.
Right Roll To A Wave 3 Times:
- Teamwork is required to successfully dance
Right Roll To A Wave 3 Times.
- Do the first instance of the call;
- Verify that the resulting formation is 'reasonable'
(properly aligned, symmetric, and dancers appear to be in the
- Re-evaluate your position within the new formation
(determine who you will work with next, and whether
you're a Leader or Trailer);
- Do the second instance of the call;
- Verify that the resulting formation is 'reasonable';
- Re-evaluate your position;
- Do the third (and final) instance of the call.
Latch On (fraction) [C3A] :
From a Generalized Tandem.
Right Roll to a Wave, Arm Turn 1/4 (or the designated fraction).
Ends in a R-H Mini-Wave.
This is a 2-part call.