Square Dance Resource Net  (Home)ArticlesCallers and CuersClubsEventsResourcesChoreographyRecordsFrequently Asked QuestionsAcademy for Advanced and Challenge Enthusiasts  (AACE)Ceder Chest Definition BooksCeder Square Dance System  (CSDS)Square Rotation Program  (SQROT)Vic Ceder - Square Dance CallerDefinitions of square dance calls and conceptsMore square dance DefinitionsLists of square dance calls and conceptsDigital music informationSquare dance linksBande DéssineesLos Olivos Honey BeesChocolate BarsBeanie BabiesPokémon Trading CardsSend us feedback
FAQ Database
 Master Index    Recent Changes    Find by Record ID    Help    Feedback    administrator         
Find what:
 Round Dancing    Tempo and Pitch    Looping    Skipping    Other Questions  

Other Questions
  1. Chronotron II and PaceMaker
  2. Convert Mini-disc to MP3
  3. Convert MP3 file to WAV file
  4. CoolEdit - .PK files
  5. Cue sheets and choreo
  6. Downloading MP3 files
  7. Hilton MA-150 Amplifier
  8. How do I create an MP3 file?
  9. How to I distribute my music?
  10. Humm and background noise
  11. Humming sound
  12. Increasing volume level of MP3 files
  13. Japanese Electrical Power
  14. Laptop - Foreign travel
  15. Laptop - Recommendations
  16. Laptop vs. Mini-Disk
  17. Licensing (response from Harry Fox Agency)
  18. MP3 files on website
  19. MP3 library catalog system
  20. Noise reduction
  21. Recording vinyl records into the computer #1
  22. Recording vinyl records into the computer #2
  23. Signal booster #1
  24. Signal booster #2
  25. Tranferring MD files to laptop
  26. Where can I get PaceMaker plug-in for Winamp?
  27. Writing MP3 files to audio CD #1
  28. Writing MP3 files to audio CD #2
  29. Writing MP3 files to audio CD #3
    Chronotron II and PaceMaker
    Should I remove Chronotron II before installing PaceMaker?

    You do not need to remove Chronotron II. When you install and select PaceMaker, it will override the Chronotron II plugin since Winamp allows only one DSP plugin to be active at a time.

    ID: 534
    Convert Mini-disc to MP3
    Do you by any chance know how to convert from minidisk to mp3?

    There might be a device (mini-disc recorder?) you could buy that would plug into your computer into which you could put MiniDiscs. There might be special software associated with that device to read the music directly from the mini-disc. Failing that, The following link may be helpful: http://www.zdnetindia.com/print.html?iElementId=43135

    ID: 393
    Convert MP3 file to WAV file
    Is it possible to convert a MP3 file to a WAV file?

    This is very easy to do. Every music file editor should be able to do this. In fact, Music Editors must convert the MP3 file to a WAV file (or the equivalent) before they can edit it.

    WAV files and MP3 files are just different types of sound files, just like TXT files and DOC files are different types of documents. Just like a word processor such as Microsoft Word can open a file of one type (e.g., TXT) and save the file as another (e.g., HTML, DOC, RTF), a music editor can do the same thing with music files.

    In CoolEdit 2000, for example, you "Open" the MP3 file, then do a "Save As" and select type "PCM raw data (*.wav)" to get a WAV file.

    ID: 137
    CoolEdit - .PK files
    I've been playing with recording square dance records to MP-3 with CoolEdit 2000. Would like to ask a question if it's OK. When I save my file (the record), it saves a file as record name "Pink Cadillac.wav" but it also saves a file with it: i.e. "Pink Cadillac.pk". Do you know what the .pk extension is?

    The following information was found on the CoolEdit (Syntrillium) web site:

    Once you save a file via Cool Edit, it saves a *.pk file in the save directory as well. This file is used to speed up the loading of a file for the next session. These .pk files can be deleted at any time. They bring no harm to the application or the original file. If you would like to turn them off, from the menu bar, select Options, Settings, System, and uncheck Save Peak Cache files.

    I always delete the .pk files after I exit CoolEdit200 since I'm only interested in the .wav files.

    ID: 176
    Cue sheets and choreo
    You also say the words and patterns can be displayed. Can you explain how this is done?

    Some callers display their choreography sequences or cue sheets via a word processor such as Microsoft Word, others use other programs such as Microsoft Powerpoint or Adobe Acrobat.

    CSDS has a 'call from screen' display that is specifically tailored to calling. A screen shot and more information is available at http://www.ceder.net/csds/help/csds_callfromscreen.html

    Similarly, callers display cue sheets with Word, Acrobat, or CSDS. CSDS can display cue sheets in various formats, including our HTML format. Example: http://www.ceder.net/recorddb/cuesheet.php?RecordId=386

    last modified: 21-June-2006   ID: 180
    Downloading MP3 files
    Do you have any square dance music and calls (preferably mp3 format) available for download?

    We do not have any mp3 files for download.

    We have square dance choreography available for download, and also cue sheets and lyrics for specific singing calls.

    ID: 238
    Hilton MA-150 Amplifier
    Do you use an MA-150 with your laptop? If so, how do you like it?

    Do you still need the line amplifier thing when using an MA-150?

    I've been using an MA-150 and a laptop for several years now.

    It's wonderful. Of course, it'd be nicer if the laptop and MA-150 were smaller and lighter. :-)

    In my opinion it's the best Hilton amplifier so far.

    The 'Signal Booster' is not needed with the MA-150. I only use the signal booster when I'm calling at conventions and other places on 'antiquated' (older) systems.

    I carry my MA-150 amplifier almost everywhere I call. It's small and easy to carry on the plane. (Of course, the TSA airport security screeners sometimes ask questions since there's an 'unidentified' round metal disk inside the amplifier.)

    ID: 303
    How do I create an MP3 file?
    Can you tell a computer stupid ol caller how I can make a mp3 so I can email it Thanks.

    First of all, you need to get the digital music into the computer. If the music is on an audio CD, you can use a program such as AudioGrabber to copy the file (as a .wav file) onto your PC. You then need a program to convert the .wav file into a .mp3 file. (you can do this via a 'music editor', described below, or you can use BladeEncoder, a free encoder, of which I've saved a copy at http://www.ceder.net/csds/ftp/BladeEnc091.zip

    If the music is on vinyl, you'll have to get a 'music editor' program (see http://www.ceder.net/digital_music.php ), hook up your turntable/amplifier to the computer, and record the music. You can then save the file as a .mp3 file.

    ID: 543
    How to I distribute my music?
    My wife and I are entertainers in Country Music for Line Dancing, Barn Dancing and Square Dancing.

    It's an easy step for me to modify most songs into square dance tracks and I would like to offer my productions to other callers but I have no idea how to distribute them successfully without my work being pirated.

    I went to your web site recently and as you seemed to be successful in the world of Square Dancing I though that you might know the right people to talk to and to send demo's of my work to.

    Some pirating is probably unavoidable nowadays since digital music is so 'easy'. However, most professional callers nowadays have ethical standards that doesn't allow them to engage in such activities.

    Due to recent consolidations in the square dance field, there's really only one major record/music dealer left, Palomino Records.

    Their web site is http://www.palominorecords.com/

    Tom Dillander is the owner. He should be able to assist you in distributing music.

    You also might contact Pat Carnathan, the owner/producer of Shakedown records. He can probably give you a music producer's assesement of how to produce music.

    last modified: 26-March-2007   ID: 670
    Humm and background noise
    I get an awful hummm and background noise when I try recording, following your instructions to a "T". It turned out that the ground wire (the round plug that is part of the three-pronged plug), when plugged into the wall or outlet, was making the hum...

    You've got the "A/C Humm"!

    I've encountered this problem in a different form. It has happened to me when I tried to playback music from my laptop thru some of the old hilton sets (the 200?). The fix is to use a three-to-two prong adaptor on the laptop power cord.

    ID: 497
    Humming sound
    I've tried using my Hilton AC-201 and it gives me a Hum while recording. This 201 has always had a hum in it since I bought it.

    To minimize hum:

    1. Use shielded cables.
    2. Try not to place the recording cable over or near a power cord.
    3. Try different jacks on your computer. E.g., you could be going into the microphone input instead of the line input -- this could overload the system and create a hum.

    If the above suggestions fail to resolve the problem, try using the 'noise reduction' feature of CoolEdit2000 to remove the hum.

    ID: 178
    Increasing volume level of MP3 files
    I copy my mp3s to a CD for listening on my portable discman, but even when I turn the volume to the max the music is still very quiet! How can I increase the volume of my mp3s and save it so that the music on my diskcman is much louder?

    I tried mp3trim where you can do that, but I've got many mp3s wich are larger than 100 MB and they are not supported by mp3trim! If I want to use the program I have to buy mp3trim pro which costs 99 dollars. Is there any other thing i can do? Or any other program which support large files?

    I'm not sure if I can answer your question.

    I assume you are burning standard CDs with WAV files (playable on any CD player), and not specialized CDs with MP3 files (playable only on specialized MP3 players).

    Try searching the web for terms such as 'mp3 volume normalization'.

    Players such as WinAmp have plug-ins such as AudioStocker that can normalize the volume level as the song plays.

    CD burners such as Audio CD MP3 Studio 2000 (http://www.ashampoo.com/audiocd.htm) have features such as 'Automatic level adjustment (normalize) while recording'.

    You might send a question to mp3trim (http://www.logiccell.com/~mp3trim/) to see what their response is. Personally, I think $99 is too much to pay just to do what you want.

    I have a program called Cool Edit 2000, which has a 'Transform | Amplitude | Amplify' function, which can increase or decrease the volume. It also has a 'Transform | Normalize' function. (Cool Edit 2000 is $69). (http://www.syntrillium.com/products.htm)

    last modified: 06-January-2008   ID: 84
    Japanese Electrical Power
    I'm going to Japan to call for the first time. I'd like to bring my laptop and/or Mini-Disk player. What is the electricity like there? Do I need any plugs or adaptors?

    Japanese AC power is similar to USA power. However, I believe that Japan uses 50Hz 100V, and the USA uses 60Hz 120V. Europe, on the other hand used higher voltage, typically 200 to 240V, which fries some equipment.

    As for your laptop, it should run fine. The important thing is to check your power adaptor. Look underneath it, and you should see something like this:

      INPUT:  50-60Hz 100-240V ~ 1.5A

    As long as you've got 50Hz and 100V covered, you're okay!

    As for your Mini-Disk, check it too. I don't have a Mini-Disk, so I couldn't check to see a sample range.

    I checked my CD player, which said:

       INPUT: AC 120V 60Hz

    I'd be worried about using it since it didn't list a range. But since it said:

      OUTPUT: DC 6V 400mA

    I should be able to find (or have a Japanese friend find) a suitable replacement power adaptor.

    Items such as electric shavers work fine in Japan. They just humm at a different frequency.

    As for Hilton turntables, you sometimes need to turn the speed up to 50 or 55 rpms to get it to sound like USA 45 rpms. This may be machine dependent, on whether or not they've been 'converted'.

    Japan uses the same electrical plug-types as the USA. Unfortunately, 3-prong (grounded) plugs are less common in Japan, so, if your laptop requires a 3-prong outlet, I suggest you bring along a 3-to-2 prong adaptor.

    ID: 308
    Laptop - Foreign travel
    I have been taking Mini-Disks to Europe when I call ... no problem ... do you take your laptop and if so have you found any problem taking it through the different borders?

    There's no problem taking a laptop into Europe. It's certainly less noticeable than carrying a big record case full of records.

    The power transformer that comes with the laptop usually handles 100-240 V 50-60Hz, so there's no problem with power conversion. Just be sure to bring an electrical plug adaptor for the country you're visiting.

    I get my adaptors from Magellan's Travel Supplies

    ID: 88
    Laptop - Recommendations
    Any suggestions as to what kind of laptop to use when calling with mp3 files? speed - brand - memory etc...

    Almost any new laptop purchased today should work just fine. Speed, brand, or memory are not major considerations. You might look for a laptop that makes a claim such as 'multimedia', since it may have a better sound card than similar laptops.

    I've found that the most limiting factor is hard disk space. As your collection of MP3 files grows, you will eventually use a lot of disk space. Choose a laptop with plenty of hard disk space - the more the better.

    My original laptop is a Dell Inspiron 3200. It has 96MB memory, 4.7GB Hard Drive, and runs at 266MHz. I've used almost all of the available hard disk space on it. It contains 926 square dance MP3 files, and I still occasionally call with it.

    My laptop (Dec. 2000) is a Dell Latitude C800, the top of the line professional model at the time. It has 256MB memory, a 32GB Hard Drive, and runs at 850MHz.

    My current laptop is a Dell Vaio. The Dell had some sort of a random memory or disk corruption bug.

    ID: 89
    Laptop vs. Mini-Disk
    Currently I am using Mini disk. What are the benefits of carrying only an Amp and laptop.

    The main advantages of a computer over mini-disk are

    1. the potential to carry thousands of songs;
    2. easily locate a song by name, artist, type of music, etc.
    3. automatically display the cue sheet associated with a song.

    ID: 304
    Licensing (response from Harry Fox Agency)
    Through my organization, I have a BMI/ASCAP license. Suppose I purchase a 45 rpm record for use in my activity. I then decide that this 45 is becoming hard to replace, so I digitize it and use it now as an MP3 or on a CD. Do I need to purchase a separate license for this?

    If this MP3 or CD is being used for your personal use, then no license is required. However, if you are producing additional units and distributing these, then you would be required to obtain a mechanical license.

    A mechanical license grants the rights to reproduce and distribute copyrighted musical compositions (songs), including uses on phonorecords (i.e. CDs, records, tapes, and certain digital configurations). The Harry Fox Agency was established to license, collect, and distribute royalties on behalf of U.S. publishers that own and/or control the rights to musical compositions. Simply stated, if you want to record and distribute a song that was written by someone else, or if your business requires the distribution of music that was written by others, you must obtain a mechanical license.

    Mechanical rights should not be confused with "master rights" that are granted by a record company in order to use an existing recording, or with "performance rights" that are granted by publishers or societies for the public performance of a song. Depending on the use, one may also have to obtain these rights in addition to the mechanical license.

    The Harry Fox Agency issues mechanical licenses for phonorecords manufactured and distributed in the United States (including territories and possessions) only. Our mechanical licenses are only available to United States manufacturers or importers with a United States address.

    The royalty rate (what gets paid to the music publisher) is set by law, and is known as the "statutory rate." Until December 31, 2003, the statutory rate is .08 or .0155 per minute or fraction of a minute, whichever is greater. After January 1, 2004, the statutory rate is .085 or .0165 per minute or fraction of a minute, whichever is greater.

    Forms for mechanical licensing are available at our website: (http://www.harryfox.com/mechanical_forms.html)

    If you have any further questions please feel free to contact Client Relations through the information provided below. Thank you for your inquiry and we wish you all the best.


    Client Relations Department
    Harry Fox Agency
    711 3rd Avenue 8th Floor
    New York, NY 10017
    (212) 834-0100
    (646) 487-6779 (Fax)

    ID: 423
    MP3 files on website
    How about putting some MP3 files for square dance records on your web site?

    I do not to put any MP3 files for square dance music on my site due to the following reasons:

    • I'm not a music site
    • There are copyright issues involved
    • MP3 files eventually use up a lot of disk space
    • Ultimately it's the music producer's responsibility to put sample MP3s of their recordings on their site.

    ID: 74
    MP3 library catalog system
    Do you have any recommendations on a MP3 library or catalog system that will play individual selections?

    Almost all of the commercial MP3 players have 'playlists'.

    You might checkout:
    and this entry in particular:

    Also http://showcase.netins.net/web/phdss/mp3/mp3_playlist_editors.htm

    I don't know much about them, since I use my own program (CSDS) to organize mp3 files. Screen shot from CSDS

    ID: 90
    Noise reduction
    I have recorded music from 45 rpm vinyl on my Hilton 75-A to my computer using Cool-Edit. After I filter it for noise and record it back to cd I have discovered that much of the bass is missing -- way too much treble -- sounds tinny. Is this something I am doing wrong? I am (trying) to follow Dan Prossers instructions.

    You've done the noise reduction incorrectly, and you've filtered out too much of the 'real' music. You only want to remove the noise.

    Please look at my article, http://www.ceder.net/digital_music/dms2003.php and look at the "Noise Reduction" section.

    last modified: 08-June-2006   ID: 527
    Recording vinyl records into the computer #1
    I seem to have a problem with recording my records into the computer. I don't seem to get the volume that I think that I should have when I play the mp3 back thru my laptop. If I use the tape record jack on the back of my 300, and maintain the -18 to -3 db on the view meter, I have to raise the volume so high that it will blast me out of the room. Do you disconnect the speakers when you record? I have made some recordings with the other speaker jack and hardly any volume on the turntable, but when played back they also don't seem to have the same volume as when the record is played directly. If you can think of something that I am doing wrong, please let me know.

    Other than disconnect the speakers and turn up the volume, I can think of three other ways to increase the recording volume.

    1. Put a signal booster (Hilton Audio sells one for about $45) on the cord used for recording.
    2. Music recording programs often have a 'Volume Normalization' or an 'Amplify' function that you can use after you've recorded the music.
    3. Play with settings in the windows 'Play Control'. This can usually be found in the icon tray (lower right portion of the Windows task bar). Double-click on the Speaker (Volume) icon. You can also run the 'Play Control' via 'Start | Run...' and open 'sndvol32.exe'. From here, goto 'Options | Properties' and check set the radio button for 'Adjust volume for | Recording'. Then make sure that the 'Line in' and 'Microphone' checkboxes are checked. Click okay, and it should display the volume controls used for recording. Tweak them as necessary to get a good volume level.

    last modified: 06-January-2008   ID: 658
    Recording vinyl records into the computer #2
    I need to convert my square dance record collection to MP-3 files and am at a loss. I am not a programmer, I am a user and am looking for an easy to use program that can convert my records to MP3. Can you help me out? If there is somewhere I can download an easy program, preferably shareware, I would be interested....thanks in advance.

    As for suggested recording software,

    1. (Free) Audacity ==> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    2. (Cheap) Goldwave ==> http://www.goldwave.com/
    3. (Moderate) Sound Forge ==> http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/product.asp?pid=431
    4. (Expensive) Adobe Audition ==> http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/main.html

    I use Adobe Audition. I have not used the other programs.

    last modified: 06-January-2008   ID: 693
    Signal booster #1
    Do I need the line signal booster for use with my Hilton AC-201?

    The signal booster is used for playback. I.e., playing your music from a CD or computer into your amplifier.

    The signal booster is not needed with an AC-201, but I recommend getting one anyway, as it can improve the quality of a weak signal.

    ID: 179
    Signal booster #2
    I have a Hilton 75B. In order to boost the signal I have a couple of options.
    1. Purchase Hilton's Signal Booster. Do I use Monaural or Stereo? Or doesn't matter?
    2. Hilton MA-150

    Obviously 1) is cheaper but is there noticeable output sound difference between 1) and 2)?

    The signal booster requires a stereo plug -- in fact, you get a little piece of paper with a warning message about this when you purchase the booster.

    This doesn't mean that your recorded music needs to be stereo -- just the plug. 95% of the square dance music I use is mono.

    Personally, I've had trouble with the signal booster. The knob is flaky or some connection is bad. It's been fixed once by Jim Henshel, but it still doesn't work particularly well. Sometimes I have to wiggle it or fiddle the knob to get it working. I purchased a backup signal booster which is still in its original plastic bag -- just in case mine decides to expire competely.

    I've heard of other callers who have also had problems with their signal booster. One caller had some other contraption that was either purchased at or made from parts from Radio Shack. This caller was bragging that it only cost him about $10 instead of the $40 for the signal booster.

    I think the MA-150 is wonderful. I fully recommend it. It's more powerful, smaller, and easier to use. And it doesn't require that stupid little signal booster! In my opinion, the sound from the MA-150 is better than the sound from the 75B.

    The only drawback about the MA-150 is that vinyl records can no longer be used.

    ID: 326
    Tranferring MD files to laptop
    Can you tell me if you know of any way to do a bulk transfer of MD files to laptop. I've been transferring/recording them to the laptop using ADOBE Audition one at a time so far. Seems like there ought to be a quicker way.

    You might look into "Xitel USB MD-Port I/O".

    Here's two links:

    ID: 535
    Where can I get PaceMaker plug-in for Winamp?
    Where can I get the PaceMaker plug-in?  I looked on WinAmp's page could not find it.

    The PaceMaker plug-in for Winamp can be downloaded at http://www.surina.net/pacemaker/

    You can also find version 1.32 at our site at http://www.ceder.net/csds/ftp/

    Be sure to register PaceMaker (pay the $10 or so), or CSDS may appear to hang because PaceMaker has invoked a pop-up reminder window beneath CSDS.

    last modified: 24-July-2008   ID: 532
    Writing MP3 files to audio CD #1
    How I can convert Winamp media files into WAV files in order to put it on a CD?

    Winamp can not do this. You need a music editor program such as Cool Edit 2000.

    With Cool Edit 2000, open the Winamp media file (I assume you mean .mp3), and then save it as a WAV file. Then use your CD burner to write the WAV files.

    ID: 146
    Writing MP3 files to audio CD #2
    You mentioned a product called Easy CD Creator. I didn't see any references to that product on your web site. Could you please let me know where to get it ?

    Easy CD Creator comes free with many CD writers.

    Use google to search for "Easy CD Creator", and you'll find many matches.

    ID: 221
    Writing MP3 files to audio CD #3
    I have a song in mp3 format that I want to record onto a CD-ROM. How can I convert it to a .wav file so that I can include it on my song list?

    Run a Music editing program such as Cool Edit 2000, and save the file as WAV format.

    You might not need to do this, since many programs that allow you to create a CD first prompt as to whether or not you want a 'data CD' or a 'music CD'. If you select 'music CD', the mp3 files are automatically converted to a wav file when written to the CD (I believe my CD writer software works this way).

    ID: 239

If you have a question that is not answered here, feel free to E-mail Vic at

16-November-2019 21:15:11
Copyright © 2019 Vic Ceder.  All Rights Reserved.